a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Well, not quite the slowest :-)

About 10Kms today to start the week. I joined a group today for some intervals, meeting on The Tan, a quick warm up then over the Lexus Track next to Olympic Park. The session was to be run as follows: 1200, 1000, 800, 600 and 400 metres. I joined in with a group of girls who were close to my level (well, slightly above my level actually but they were very welcoming). I just wanted to concentrate on the session so I didn't take my splits, now that I have a feel for it I will do that next time. Someone was calling out splits as we finished however and I think I have managed to remember most of them - 1200 - 5:34 1000 - 4:24 (wow!) 800 - 3:50 (maybe, not sure) 600 - 2:30 perhaps 400 - 99 (Cathy Freeman is halfway thru her victory lap by the time I finish a 400) I was pretty happy with these times considering I am still not back to my best yet. I love these kinds of sessions though, they are tough but satisfying. And for a change I got some encouragement as I hauled my butt around, rather than my own self motivating talk in my head, a definite plus!! So with a warm up and cool down, the session and the run to and from the meeting place from my office I managed to clock up 10Kms today. It was great to finally be able to do a proper session like this and I look forward to making this a regular part of the training schedule. I was a bit awe struck by how fast some of them could run, just emphasized how "green" I am, still it is not about other people is it, just doing the best I can. Bring on daylights savings though, it was fecking freezing out there tonight, I could barely use my hands by the time we finished. I am pretty reserved in a new group and they may not have thought I was that into it, but I was, it just takes me a while to get over the shyness and get to know new people, I have had to do a alot of that this year. I started back at Pilates today as well so I am sure I will be a walking a bit tenderly tomorrow. Day 2 of the healthier eating is going well, I made a fantastic brown rice salad for lunch. I thought it would be bland and unpalatable, but it turned out to be divine. I will post it tomorrow, it is getting late now and I just want to chill out for a bit before bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A good session there Em.
I can see you doing big things in AV
soon. Have you decided on a club yet?
Sounds like maybe Sandy or Box Hill??

SB:)

06:45

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Bring on the rice salad recipe, YUM!

Sounds like a great session Em, good on you, its something I've never done, but I do know that thew shorter distances on the track (under 800m) would not be my strong point!

MAR.

13:41

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Great to hear you did a session with HVT and I am sure you will fit in nicely and really enjoy working in a squad environment!

I assume you recognised a few faces from the R4K training groups, esp the likes of Dan H. Amazing to watch him train, I use the concept of close my eyes when he passes, because if I keep them closed for a few seconds he will be well & truely gone... Of course there are a few very fast runners there and I am sure you will enjoy watching KSC kick a lot of guys butts.

Have fun and I am sure you will continue to see improvement in all aspects of your running.

Stu

12:56

 

Post a Comment

<< Home