a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sunshine!!!

Running
An easy one today, 2Km warm up while waiting for friends then 10.5Km around The Tan and along the Yarra.

Vicki was visiting from NZ so I met her, Tony and Angel for an easy 60 minutes. After a slight mix up in the interpretation of what exactly constitutes a pillar ;-) we all eventually found each other and set off on a rather gorgeous Melbourne spring morning. We did a lap of the tan, I went strangly quiet up Anderson St, but found my voice again soon afterwards. After a lap of The Tan I took everyone along the Yarra over Morell Bridge and up through Birrarung Marr and past Federation Square. Back up along The Tan to the bridge again, then double back down to the Pillars to the cars to collect some cash and head off for breakfast with rumbling tummy's. A plate of pancakes and a flat white never tastes quite as good as it does after a run!

Once again always great to catch up with another Ausrunner and it is always funny after getting to know someone via the net that when you meet them in person it is more like catching up with a buddy you haven't seen in a while rather than meeting a stranger. Anyway, Vicki has a half marathon in Auckland next Sunday and won't have the benefit of the Ausrun army to cheer her on in person so at 04:30 ESST (if you put your clock forward before going to bed) try to dream good vibes and send them her way.

I managed more distance this week, clocking up 55.6 Km, the second week back last time was 48Km so ahead by a wee bit. Emotions a bit up and down, especially on Wednesday when I struggled with a less than comfortable 12Km. But after getting into my new book and as anyone who read yesterday's post will notice I have a handle on that now. I think the issue is just to get back to being comfortable running more than 10Kms. At the moment I am looking forward to tackling a shorter race next Sunday morning at Coburg.

3 Comments:

Blogger beakus said...

I like the route Em, sounds like a proper Melbourne running experience. I hadn't been anywhere near Birrarung Marr until I started going down to Olympic Park Med centre - I love my walk down from Fed Square. I never fail to arrive at the centre chilled out from my stroll :o)

Really must run there someday.

Glad the book hepled you get your mojo back :o) I should think the weeks after a big race like the 1/2 are difficult, don't know how you do it :o)

B.

17:38

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Hey Em, sounds like I missed a cool run on Sunday and a better breaky..

Maybe a short race for you would be running as an invitee at a Shield 3000m race, much better than the over priced fun run scene. As an invite runner you may need to part with $2-5....

05:53

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Thanks for the "plug" Em - all positive vibes greatly appreciated!

Even more so, thanks for your company on Sunday morning, it was fantastic to finally meet you (and Angel and Tony) and like you say, it felt more like we'd all known each other for ages!

I loved the route and was busily taking in all the sights and sounds of Melbourne, cementing it in my mind. I can now relate when you say you ran Anderson St or along the Yarra paths and from your great accounts of past runs it was almost like I had been there before, but not quite!

I certainly hope we can do it again some day, either there in Melb or here in Auck!

Cheers, MAR. :-)

19:14

 

Post a Comment

<< Home