a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Warning, sook alert.....

Running
Only 7.5Km today, 38:00, average pace 5:03

Well, I confess, I've been a tad disingenuous this week. I realised today that there is no point putting brave face on things and continuing to push though. This is essentially a training log and I need to be more honest in what I am documenting in order to asses my progress.

I have been feeling pretty ordinary this week, for example, I have been very tired, even though I sleep well, I have been anxious and overly emotional, I have had annoying mild headaches all week (I rarely get headaches) and my head has been really fuzzy and I have been light headed. In fact this afternoon as I was finishing my run I was waiting to cross Flinders St on the corner of Swanston when the lights went green for the traffic and I nearly bloody ran out onto the road thinking I had the green light!! This is difficult for me to document because I am generally pretty stoic, I hate to appear to not be "coping". I once played a whole game of baseball with a dislocated thumb because I didn't want to be a bother, pigheaded I know!

So what's up I wonder? Well, please don't suggest I am pregnant, that is certainly not the case. Overtraining perhaps, I don't know, the 2 weeks since the half marathon were 44km and 56km, that does not seem excessive. Perhaps I am putting too much pressure on myself to return to pre HM mileage and more as quickly as possible. I am nervous that if I back off I will gain weight and lose fitness, this fear causes me to push through when mind and body perhaps need a rest. I am also a bit lost as to what I should be doing, since the start of the year I have had key runs to train for, Run 4 the Kids, Gold Coast Half Marathon and Melbourne Marathon. Now all of a sudden NOTHING, I don't know what I am supposed to be doing every day. Should I be having an "off season" for a month? Or is this just silly because it is not like I run high elite level mileage. I want to position myself for continual improvement but rationally I know that I can't/shouldn't train at the same level all the time.

So what's a girl to do? Stop over analysing for a start. Stop being so tough on myself. Perhaps cut back to 5 days a week for the next couple of weeks, I have only had 3 rest days since the HM. Through Dec/Jan concentrate on racing shorter distances and keep the long runs under 90 minutes. Did I mention stop being so tough on myself?

Oh, sorry for the belly aching, just feeling a bit sorry for myself today I suppose. I guess I just need a pat on the shoulder and a "there there, it will be OK, every runner goes though this at some stage". Now best I hit publish before I delete the lot and replace it with an everything is OK post.

6 Comments:

Blogger Vicky said...

Big "pat pat, there there, hug hug" from me then... Sorry to hear you are feeling this way Em, I really feel for you.

BUT the good thing is, it sounds to me like you already know what you need to do. I personally think your second to last paragraph sums it up perfectly. Your body/mind is obviously trying to tell you something and I really don't think its saying "push a bit harder please" ! I know it is hard to back off when most of the time you feel OK and love doing it... but its my understanding that all regular runners need a rest period, not just the elite. While I'm not suggesting total rest for a single minute (what would be the point!?!) I'm sure backing off a little will not do you any harm what so ever.

Hope you don't mind me saying this - as I know its hard for you to adjust your mindseye - but trust me Em as someone that has seen you recently - you no longer have a weight problem and it will take far more than an extra day or so off per week for a while to change that!

I'm sure also that if you haven't already done so, talking to your "coach" would be a good idea and also STOP BEING SO DAMN HARD ON YOURSELF!!!! Don't make me come back over there and stand over you with a stick!!

Oh and BTW - you are definately no "slow poke" either Em - as per your comment on my blog. Hills take a while to conquer and even then they are always going to require extra effort! Thats why they are so good for you!

Chin up, MAR.

20:18

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

I guess I just need a pat on the shoulder and a "there there, it will be OK, every runner goes though this at some stage".

Em you know everyone goes through ups & downs and yes you are probably being a bit hard on yourself, but so are many others, often!

I think experience plays a BIG part here, exp helps with the why run with no racing goal, thats easy because WE love to run!!! I'll use my post HM as an example for you to compare with; as you know I tend to run around 70km a week, sometimes higher and sometimes lower, for three weeks plus after the HM I ran mid 40s to mid 50s, all easy with minimal speed work.

I would suggest dropping a run for a few weeks, BUT because you want to be active, go and do something else, swim/bike/gym/game.

Have some fun, run some new courses, for the next 2 weeks find four courses you have never run before, they might be keepers! Try to find some friends to run with for a change, give yourself something new to look forward to instead of the rush of a hard session.

Enough of my rant, hope it makes sense, I can't be bothered to proof read.

All the best

Stu

06:03

 
Blogger beakus said...

Another there there from me - hang in there Em, and I can only second what MAR and Stu Mac have said.

How about just running because you love it, not for time, distnace or anything else? Let your legs and how you feel dictate the run rather than "I must..."

I am nervous that if I back off I will gain weight and lose fitness, this fear causes me to push through when mind and body perhaps need a rest

Judging by your photos and seeing you at R4K, you don't need to be concerned about your weight (gaining any I mean), as for fitness, do you suppose that overtraining could actually have a negative effect? In that you get prone to injuries?

I'm definitely no expert, and just hope that you feel in top form (mind and body) again soon... big hugs Em.

B.

09:13

 
Blogger Chris said...

Completely agree with Stu.

Give yourself a mental break. Change up your runs, do some different XT for a couple of weeks, and drop a run or two. You need to refresh mentally now, so try a few different activities, or if you still want to run go some places you have never run before.

09:28

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was about to write "go easy on yourself, don't be so obsessive" and then my inner critic yelled out "pot calling the kettle black".

Anyway, do as I say, not as I do. Oh, and sitting awake at 1:59am writing on your blog probably doesn't help.

16:49

 
Blogger Ewen said...

'Everything is not OK' posts are good.

As vicky says, if you have a coach, talk to him/her about the situation.

Planned easy weeks are a good idea - even elite athletes do that. I'd also suggest making easy days genuinely easy (perhaps nearer to 6min k pace for you), so that hard days can be done well.

Not having a 'next big thing'? Until one comes along, just train to run better and faster.

21:39

 

Post a Comment

<< Home