a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Monday, November 13, 2006

Wet and Wild

Running
10km in 53:39, average pace 5:21

Pretty vile afternoon, about 12 degrees and during the course of my run I has gusty wind, rain, sunshine, clouds and yet more wind. I was having such a strong run up Anderson Street today then my reward about 20 metres from the end was a full on headwind that nearly blew me backwards. Needless to say was pretty glad when it was all over but proud of myself for still getting out there.

I entered the 4km Spring into Shape race today, to be run on the last Sunday this month. My goals? To start out at 4:30 pace and see how I feel at the 2km mark, if I feel strong I'll pick it up and have a go at coming in at under 18 minutes.

Dodgy Thumb, Nasi Goreng and Oaks Day
I had to change the outer dressing on my thumb today, not nearly as yuck as I thought it would be. For all the pain, blood and general grossness it really didn't look that bad at all and that special sticky tape they used is holding it all together nicely, definitely needs the dressing still though as it hurts if I bump it. And yes Mosey, I can feel it when I run, no need for a HRM at the moment, I can feel my pulse in my thumb :-)

A wee bit sick of takeaway and tinned soup so I managed to throw together my no fat Nasi Goreng tonight (great comfort food), took twice as long to cook but still worked out fine. Anyone interested in making it, it is a total no brainer, just buy the Nasi Goreng spice pasted from the Asian Food section at the supermarket (brand name Indofood, comes in a little packet for about $1.20), this makes enough for 2 people, I cook it in 2 batches because the BF likes oil and I don't. You need to cook the rice the day before and leave it in the fridge, if you use fresh cooked rice it will be gluggy. If you a super lazy like me I buy the pre cut stir fry vegetables from the supermarket, but I also add frozen corn and fresh mushrooms. Cook the Veg first in a wok, if it is well seasoned it should be pretty non-stick so no oil is needed. When the veg is cooked add a cup of rice (this is for one) and half the spice paste and stir fry for another couple of minutes. Push the rice and veg aside and then add a beaten egg and swirl until it is half set then mix in with rice and veg for another minute. Add some chopped fresh tomato and dinner is ready. This is all pretty imprecise but a half decent cook can figure it out as they go along, my BF can cook it so that means anyone can really.

Here is a piccie of me on Oaks Day last week, owing to the dodgy thumb I couldn't do my hair or makeup so I refused to take my sunnies off. Also I am not a fan of having my photo taken, one of these days I'll get my crooked front tooth fixed so I can start smiling in photo's again, I am the one in black for those who don't know me. I am on my first of many glasses of Champers.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jaykay said...

Em you were so brave getting out there today. I was sat in my office, which has plate glass windows, and I was sure they were going to be smashed to smitherines by the wind and rain lashing at them!

And you look lovely in your dress...very chic!

22:28

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, real crap day in Melbourne. I was running around there about the same time. Weatherzone reckons the winds were 30 gusting to 37 kts.

Good luck with the 4 k'er.

23:18

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Yes I too got out there just after 4pm and managed 50 minutes with a mate around Fawkner Park, the Tan & St Kilda Rd, it was very ordinary.

Good to see you dressed up and looking good, now where is that running cap I always see you in???

;-)

Stu

23:22

 
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

I am eating my breakfast and wishing I was eating Nasi Goreng instead of muesli.

07:56

 
Blogger RunDave said...

Hi there Em, thanks for the Movember donation. I think the word you were looking for was pogonophobe (person with fear of beards). I'll have to check Nick's new band out, I haven't heard much of the Birthday Party stuff, just a few videos late on Rage. So what would you give Grinderman? Two thumbs up? ;b

12:22

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

*woowoo* that s supposed to be a wolf whistle LOL

Recipe looks great, I shall have to give it a go.....

17:47

 
Blogger Vicky said...

You look stunning in that dress Em! Glad you posted a photo - I know you don't like to! Tho God only knows why!

Glad to hear the thumb is slowly on the mend too.

That weather sounds crap and I can sooooo relate!

The plan for the 4km sounds well within your reach to me. When you know its going to be all over in less than 20mins you can really push yourself and force yourself to hang on - with gritted teeth if necessary! Go hard I say... really push it all the way and see what you are capable of. More than you think I reckon...

After I recover from the HMs I'm going to do a 5km event that is an organised but casual Mon night event not far from home. It will be a mission to get there on time but I want to do it just to see what I am capable of over a 5km race, as I have never done one. One sure way of getting a PB I guess!

MAR.

19:22

 

Post a Comment

<< Home