a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Monday, June 26, 2006

Flyin' away on a Jet Plane

Yay, off to the sunny Gold Coast today, though can't complain about Melbourne, we are having one of those glorious clear winter days today. My flight is at 14:35, mummy is picking me up at 12 and dropping me at Spencer St where I will catch the Skybus. The original plan was to strap on the backpack, walk to station etc etc, which I don't have a problem with, but I wasn't going to say no to a ride to the city. Today is my rest day, the "not quite a cold" is still lingering but I am generally feeling fine. I have my race day gear in my carry on luggage, wrapped around my post race bottle of Domaine Chandon! I am wearing my Polar and the footpod and HRM strap are also in carry on. My trusty Zoom Elites are strapped to my feet, feels a bit funny wearing them again, they have not been on since Williamstown. I was instructed to pack them away and not train in them so they felt nice and light on race day compared to my training shoes. But I am not taking any chances and will just wear them up today so I know they are safe, paranoid I know. I am getting the odd nervous rush now, but that is all part of the excitement, this is why I choose to race. I am looking forward to catching up on some reading, I have accumulated quite a few new books lately, but have been so tired at night from training that I fall alseep after 2 pages. From my big pile I have selected these two to make the journey - The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks A scottish writer and one of my faves (though not keen on his sci fi stuff) I have read most of his now. This was his first novel, this one is supposed to be pretty graphic (read: violent) but you have to take him with a grain of salt The Helmet of Horror by Victor Pelevin Never heard of this author, this is one of those "picked it up, looked interesting" books. This is a summary from the sleeve note - "In this radical reinvention of the ancient story, the labyrinth exists in the endless maze of the Internet. Strangers in chatrooms, sitting trapped and alone before their screens, are assigned obscure aliases and commanded by the Helmet of Horror, the Minotaur himself. The only path through the alienated landscape lies in the threads they trail." Hmm, considering the amount of time I spend in forumland and blogland I was naturally intrigued. Anyone interested in this topic should pick up Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson. Published over 10 years ago now when the Internet was more fledgling it is brilliantly prophetic and bloody funny, one of those books I keep re-reading. While I am plugging authors I love I also recommend China Meiville, Perdido Street Station and The Scar in particular, not quite Sci Fi, not quite Fantasy, set in a total Other World, brilliant stories. I also have a Graham Greene, Camus and some Satre sitting in waiting. Though the Satre and Camus are more flick though and read in parts than sit down and read cover to cover sort of books. Now just in case you are thinking I am totally nerdy and earnest, I also love the odd totally frivolous Chick Lit book as well. In fact my brothers fiance has the new Marian Keyes which I will devour and I am going to buy the latest Candace Bushnell (Sex and the City author) at the airport so we can do a swap. Hey, the brain needs the odd feed of junk food as well :-) I am not afraid to confess that I have also read Bridget Jones' Diary way too many times.

*Edit*

Because I am strange I just put my backpack on and weighed myself. All up I weighed in at 2 Kgs heavier than I was at my heaviest!!! I can't believe I used to carry that extra weight around, it was quite a shock.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

It really is amazing when you get a physical idea of the weight. I don't think I could even lift the weight I've lost.

Good luck on the GC.

11:13

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

All the best Em, have a nice relaxing week and run for fun, nothing big and nothing fast, this week is all about getting frustrated because you want to run more and further, BUT DON'T.


Wait for the race and do it there!

12:00

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Just catching up on your last few posts. So many similarities its uncanny! And I'm so jealous (but glad for you!) that by now you are probably in the sunny GC - I just love it there! Take the time to relax and enjoy yourself before the big day, get plenty of sleep cause you probably won't the night (or 2) before, and follow Stu's advice about the running - no matter how hard it is!

MAR.

14:34

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

You are such a crack up! For some reason I am not surprised you are wearing your race day runners lol :-)

The Wasp Factory is an excellent book with a really good twist - you'll love it! I read it about 15 years ago now and after lending it to someone, never got it back.....

Hope the flight is a good one :-)

15:09

 
Blogger Boston said...

Your reference to Graham Greene reminds me he is one of my favourite authors... highly recommend Our Man in La Havana. The Quiet American was an influence for me to do journalism at uni.

As for Sartre, he is being rediscovered for those who missed him last time. Ditto, Borges.

Leave Borges and Camus for the last lap of your trip.

20:57

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graham Greene .... The Heart of the Matter .... I have read it several times and always enjoy it ......

Have a restful week, and not Beki's definition of rest .... lol

Take care

Eat Em

10:58

 
Blogger Ruune said...

Have a great weekend Em. Enjoy catching up with your sis and remember that you are there for the whole experience, so enjoy it. Don't stress too much about the run - not much you can do about it now except be sensible over the last week. You just need to trust that you have put in the work and whether good or bad, you will finish your first half - certain to be followed by many more.

11:27

 

Post a Comment

<< Home