a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, June 18, 2006

An 82 Km Week

Training Plan - 20 Km long run Actual - 20 Km long run Weekly Total - 82 Km My goodness, no wonder I have been so tired this week, 82 big KMs, phew. I was going to run by myself today, but Beki wanted to run early as well and was looking for a slow easy pace. As I was rounding out a big week so that suited me perfectly so we met up on the Koonung track and headed out for 20km at an average of about 5:50 per K, just perfect and we were both able to keep talking the whole time. A run and a gasbag, what could be better on a Sunday morning, well, sleep, coffee, a big cooked breakfast, OK, the 2nd best thing to do on a Sunday morning :-) Well, looks like the Melbourne Marathon has been confirmed this year for 8 October (or 9th, whatever), which set me off in fits of panic late last week as it is only 16 weeks away. Decided to file that away in my mind and worry about it after the 2nd, keep the focus on the half. The date of the marathon will hold quite a bit of weight for me as it will be just on the 4th aniversary of the day my best friends father died. It causes me grief to even write the words, even after this time has passed. He was such a special man and his death was so pointless and stupid, he didn't even get to meet his first grandson. I know he would have been proud of my achievments of late and I would like to run the Marathon to honour him. Provided running the half does not turn out to be a totally horendous experience I would like to concentrate on the 10km and half distances for PBs going forward, the marathon will just be for "fun". Not sure what attracts me to these longer events as I don't think I am particularly built for distance (a bit tall and awkward with heavy legs) but while I enjoy it I won't question it. Well, 2 weeks until the big day and this is what is planned for the last week before taper - Mon - Rest Tues - 14.5 Km at 5:30 Wed - 13 Km at 5:15 to 5:30 Thurs - 13 Km including 9 km at 4:50 (& a massage booked for the evening) Fri - 11 Km at 5:30 Sat - 11km at 5:30 Saturday - 20 km long run Total - 82 Km

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruune said...

Em your training seems to be going so well and you sound like you are in great shape for the half. Just be gentle and make sure you avoid injury in this last couple of weeks so that you can capitalise on your good preparation.

16:15

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Another big week, 2 weeks out??? Have a good week, maybe increase the sleep this week to allow the body to recover slightly better.

To be honest I expected that you would have been running 65-70 this week, BUT, keep to your program and keep the great work up.


Regards

Stu

16:45

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Hey Em, thanks for the run this morning - nothing like a good long run with a bit of gasbagging first thing on a Sunday morning - lol

I'm a shocker, I've had two nanna naps today!!!!!

21:25

 
Blogger beakus said...

Em, it is fascinating reading your lead up to the GC half... it looks like you have everything in the bag now. Just remember to get enough rest, and like Deege said, treat yourself gently.

BTW, where do you get your little butter portions? I can't stand marge either and get fed up with the big butter blocks... sorry if you've already answered this one :o)

11:31

 

Post a Comment

<< Home