a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Sacrifice

For my taper I have decided just to run for me for the next week and a half and not be a slave to the plan. I'll just do what I feel like each day, between 8 and 11 Kms, easy pace or fartlek with my 20Km run on Sunday. Today I had a massage booked for 7pm so I could not run for too long tonight, normally this would get me all bent out of shape, tonight I just headed out and ran. It ended up 8km at 5:11 pace, quite comfortable and relaxed. Then back to the car (parked at Fed Square) and home for a shower then out for my massage. My third one now and they are certainly getting easier, more of a maintenance thing now than needing to "fix" anything. So now to the title, this is my list of things that have been sacrificed or lost in this journey to the half marathon - Darrel Lee Rocky Road, weekend sleep ins, a nightly glass or 2 (or 3) or red, Cheesels, 5 Kilos, wearing high heels, scalloped potatoes, getting home before dark, a C cup, heck, a B cup (see aforementioned lost 5 Kilos), feet that look good in open toed shoes, almond croissants, late nights, Chocolate Wheatens, Butternut Snaps, a nice garden (I have the time for weeding when?), caring about being seen with no make up, my fear of the cold, my fear of meeting strangers in the dark in the bush ;-), being nervous around new people and oh, probably stacks more things I will think about later, but well, I am really tired :-) And tomorrow, shock horror, is going to have to be a rest day. A mate from working is heading off to live his dream on the Sunshine Coast so a group of us are off for a celebratory Ale (well, I will probably indulge in a champers, my last day of work before holidays and all), so contrary to the above, tomorrow will be a rare day when the run is sacrificed. I guess I have some balance in my life after all. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, tired, off to sleep now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, you've got the right approach, can't go wrong with that.

22:17

 
Blogger Shane said...

Em,

You have done the hard work. Enjoy your taper; enjoy your holidays; and most of all enjoy the race.

Shane.

22:41

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em,

What you lose in worldly things you can in spiritual wellbeing ..... yeh right .....

I was trying to make it sound good but the reality is that good health and well being have a price tag attached .... bummer ...

But I did have a laugh at some of your loses ..... lol

Have missed you at The Tan but should see you Sunday morning ....

take care

Eat Em

15:47

 

Post a Comment

<< Home