a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, July 30, 2006

I HATE Gardening but good 18 Km Run

Met up with a BIG group at Jells Park this morning for a long run. There were a few girls that I have met on Tuesday nights who I knew would be about my pace, Jaqui, Lou and Lisa. The bigger group headed out first, but Lou was trying to figure out what to do with her keys. I couldn't let her leave them on the wheel of her car so I grabbed them and locked them in my car, I have a little zip pocket in my running tights just the right size for my car key. It was a beautiful morning and the main group was just in sight as we headed off, we could see them well enough to know that we were heading in the right direction. I am used to running up to Jells from Koomba Park, so it was cool to start at Jells and head in the opposite direction towards Dandenong. It was fairly flat and the weather just perfect for a morning run, stacks of other runners out so lot's of "good mornings". At one stage we ran across the constuction zone for the new east link freeway, my god what an eyesore, it cuts a giant scar though the landscape, ughhhh, I feel for all the people who will now have it in their backyards. We stopped breifly at our turn around for water and a loo break then headed back to Jells. As this was my first proper long run since the half marathon I was just looking for 90 minutes so was running for time not distance. I came back up the hill to the Tea House with Jacqui and we had run 100 minutes, Lou went on for a little longer as she was looking for 120 minutes. When I checked the Polar I realised we were 200 metres off 18Km, so we jogged back to the car park to make up the distance. Jaqui told me that she was glad I was running with her as there were a few points where she just wanted to stop and walk, but having a parter stopped her from giving in to it. This is exactly why I love doing the long runs with company, it keeps you honest :-) Back home I desperately had to do some gardening, YUCK. But it is hard rubbish and green waste time so I had to do some weeding and pruning. 3 hours later I had filled 7 bags, I have prickles from a giant thistle in my hands, my back hurts, I have blister on my thumb and I reek of lavander and rosemary. I hate creepy crawlies as well, if something has more than 4 legs it freaks me out. I spent most of the time dancing around convinced that things were crawling on me or were in my hair, ughhhh. After all that my "garden" is still a disaster, but I can't be stuffed doing any more. One of these days I will pay someone to cover as much of it as possible with decking and paving, I am not kidding, my garden is only small anyway, more like 3 separate courtyards really. OK, enough whingeing, time for a long hot shower. Oh and last night I dreamed all my teeth fell out, again, I am always having this damn dream and I hate it. I'll have to look it up in one of those dream books.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stu Mac said...

Its always great to run with others, welcome back to the LR on a Sunday. A few weeks without the long one would not have hurt one bit!

Stu

18:53

 
Blogger Jaykay said...

Em, I'm in the same boat as you with the gardening. I have to do little bits at a time or I get so disheartened with it all.

Was out yesterday and there are just so many weeds everywhere that I never know where to start.

I did manage to cut all the rose bushes back and plant a little fuschia that's been sitting on the back decking for a while.

Glad to hear that the run went well. I think that Michelle and I have run with Lou up at Sherbrooke Forest!

Oh, and thanks for your comments, it really makes a difference knowing that I'm not the only one who just can't say NO!

20:40

 
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I like to do all my gardening with a whipper snipper. Yeah I no it is a little rough and makes a mess but saves me getting my hands dirty.

12:14

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Totally agree with your comments on Floyd and on the creepy crawlies Em!

Great to get another long run under your belt too. Can you remember back to when you couldn't even imagine going this far? Now its just another (good) run!!

MAR.

13:03

 

Post a Comment

<< Home