a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Monday, July 31, 2006

Pros and Cons

Cons Shin Splints, Achilles Tendonitis, Plantar Fascitis, ITBS, Muscle Tears, Iron Defincency, Calluses and Blisters, Muscle Strains, Runners Knee, Stress Fractures, Black Toenails, Sore Muscles, buggered joints, Overtraining Syndrome, injury induced depression, performance anxiety and probably a 1000 more I can't think of right now Pros Vastly reduce your risk of Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, Obesity, some Cancers, Depression (other than the injury induced version), Osteoporosis, Stroke. You have more energy, you are a nicer person to be around, you have a sense of achievement and something to be proud of when you run a great race, there is a sense of belonging and community as you exchange knowing nods and hello's with fellow runners out there on the trail. Let's face it, the Cons are extreme and generally with sensible training practices and the right footware can mostly be avoided. If you are unlucky enough to succumb you will probably be back on your feet again before you know it. Frankly, the Pros far outweigh the Cons. I love to run, but as an added benefit I should be looking down the barrel of my 50s in about 18 years time confident that this path I have set myself on will see me avoiding many of the lifestyle diseases and complaints that have struck many people I know who are my parents age, including members of my own family. Both my maternal grandparents died from lifestyle diseases, I don't want the same fate. Mercifully my grandfather went quickly in his sleep, though not before spending years taking a vast array of drugs every day, which as a child I thought were lollies. Seriously he used to take about 15 pills a day. Less mercifully my grandmother died from breast cancer (linked to a lifetime of smoking) which progressed to her liver, spine and brain before she died, she was ill with this thing for 18 months. She was so brave but it was so bloody awful. Sorry to bring the mood down, but I just want to be fit and healthy for as long as I can be. So, to that end, I started the week with a gentle 8.5Km run at about 5:20 pace after my long run yesterday. The weather gods smiled on me and gave me a nice window of clear skies and no rain.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Librarian said...

Good post. My parents are both inactive and look to go in unhealthy directions...I don't like thinking about it.

When I first started running I was on the cusp of being overweight, had back problems, was moody and didn;t sleep well.

Now I MUST run. I haven't even competed yet, even though I've been running 6 years and yet my long runs keep climbing and I'm building up to a couple of races, finally.

07:51

 
Blogger Jaykay said...

I'm so lucky that both my parents are quite fit and active.

My mum goes to the gym and it's a bit strange having a conversation with her about the music they use in the Body Pump classes, or chatting about Circuit Training classes!!

My Dad walks every day and has lost quite a bit of fat that was hanging round his tummy when he retired from work.

My grandparents on the other hand were quite sedate. My grandad on one side died from smoking and my Nana died from throat cancer, which was a direct result of passive smoking through my Grandad.

Both hubby and I are actively encouraging Alana to exercise and hopefully she sees us as good role models on that front. She always gives me a hug and a "hope you win a medal" when I walk out the door with my running gear on, and she loves going down to the squash courts with Hubby when he's practising with his team.

Wow, that's a lot of chat from me today!!

15:19

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post Em!
I have to say I have been thinking of late is this running caper all worth it due to my knee problems. But, like you said, it was all about the footwear and hopefully in time I shall be back to "normal".
I am afraid I am hooked now and there is no turning back for whatever reason :)

16:04

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Em ....

I have finished with your book .... next time I see you or if you need it asap let me know.

Take care

Eat Em

16:47

 
Blogger Ruune said...

Em, great to remind of the long term vision. When you look at it this way, all the questions of when/whether you should be training for this race or that race pale into insignificance. First and foremost this running caper is about a healthy life (not just a lifestyle) - if you get some bling along the way that is a bonus, but it pays to remember the reasons behind the whole thing.

12:13

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EM, I started running distance at age 46 I now have 16 marathons and an ultra 50m under my belt. I agree that I don't want the lung cancer that my father has, but genetics has a large part to play, so play as and when you can and try to beat the odds. EL

16:44

 

Post a Comment

<< Home