a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, October 01, 2006

One week to go.....

Running
Well, actually this time next week it will all be over and I'll be standing (hopefully) near the finish waiting for my marathon running mates to come across the line. Today was a shorter long run, just and easy(ish) 14 Km on the Warby trail with Tony and Peter. Despite my constant exclamations of "OK guys, I am going to slow it down a bit now", I never really did. 14Km took us 1:12:28, average pace 5:11, so really not much more than race pace, not to worry, it was only 14Km. The plan for next week will probably go like this
Mon - Rest
Tue - Session
Wed - 12 Km (pace ?)
Thu - 10Km (pace ?)
Friday and Saturday, not too sure, maybe rest Friday and an easy 5Km on Saturday just to work out the nerves, I'll play this by ear.

Keeping up the positive thoughts for next Sunday. Still aiming for 1:44, though I believe if all the conditions are right on the day I may manage 1:42. To go under 1:40 would mean stringing 2 10Km PBs together, might be too big an ask, that is not being negative, that is being realistic.

Afterwards I am looking forward to racing some shorter stuff through Nov/Dec just to see if I have gotten quicker and just for fun.

Life
Next weeks race will be special to me for another reason, other than it being a home town race. It will the day after someone very special to me died 4 years ago. My best friends father, Ahmed, was in his native South Africa settling on a retirement property he had bought in Cape Town. He was crossing the road and was knocked over my a speeding motor cyclist, he was in a coma for 10 days but his wife and daughter (my best friend) had to make the decision to turn of life support. It was a dreadful, painful time, made worse by the fact that I couldn't be there to support my friend. Ahmed was an amazing man who I first met as a very quiet insecure 13 year old when my parents were going though their divorce. He was warm, friendly, loving, very funny and along with Lorraine made me feel comfortable and safe in their home at a time in my life when I really needed that sort of support. His death left a big hole in his family's life, my best friend was pregnant with his first grandchild at the time, at least he got to see her married though. But his death also left a huge hole in my life because he was such a strong father figure and a great role model.

So when I am running down that road next Sunday and it's really hurting me and I get a second wind, guess when it is coming from :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Boston said...

Em, may those thoughts encourage and give you strength and determination for what it is anticipation to be a great finish!
Rgds.

15:38

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Inspiration indeed... Add that to what you have already shown you are capable of and the determination you have put into your training and I see you doing even better than you think you can... Just make sure you go into it with completely fresh legs Em, that will serve you better than any training you can do now.

MAR.

17:53

 
Blogger Ewen said...

Good motivation Em.

You're probably in shape to well and truly break your 10k PB anyway so don't be worried about running what might seem like 'fast' for the first 10k.

I know someone who has to add 0.01k to every Garmin run so you're not too obsessive.

22:23

 
Blogger Spark Driver said...

With that motivation and the race crowd pushing you along I am predicting a great PB report this time next week.

11:48

 
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

What a sad story Em, hope you dig deep and make it a great run.

16:13

 

Post a Comment

<< Home