a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, September 24, 2006

2 weeks to go

Running
20 Km on my own today, in 1:46:36 and at an average pace of 5:19 was too fast for a long run, this always happens when I do these runs on my own. God it was windy out there, at some points I think I was running sideways!

So, 2 weeks to go until my second half marathon hit out. Yes, the nerves are starting to set in now. Looking over the training plan I know I have done enough, but not quite as much as I wanted. Since 24 July there have been 2 weeks in the 70s, 2 weeks in the 80s and the rest in the high 60s. I feel that the prep has lacked a little consistency but overall I am pretty happy. The main difference from the last HM prep is that I have added the speed sessions and longer long runs and I have put in more Kms. It has to be noted as well that the "official" prep period has been shorter, I pretty much took 3 weeks to recover from the GC and did not start proper training until 24 July. Then again I had already done the hard yards building the mileage so this time it was about adding some variety.

I guess tapering starts next week, never quite 100% sure how to approach this. I think this week will be much of the same but I will probably cut the long run to 15Km next Sunday, then next week rest Monday, session Tuesday (maybe??), 10Km Wednesday, 8Km Thurs and Fri, rest Sat and Sunday, a lazy 21.1 Km up Beach Road :-)

Nerves, nerves, nerves!!! I know I have gotten faster, but how much? 1:44:00 is still the goal, anything quicker will be a bonus, and really, who knows what sort of day the Melbourne weather gods will grant us. I probably gave about 90% to the last one, mainly because I was unsure of the distance, this time it will be 100% and I am expecting a degree of pain, both mental and physical, it's all just part of the fun really.

Then it will be time to cast my mind forward to what comes next (yes, already thinking ahead)........

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em,
Was it you I passed on the Koonung Trail at about 0830 this morning?
If so you looked to be concentrating very hard and may not have heard me call out to you in the wind.

19:53

 
Blogger blues buffett said...

Congrats on your previous post List, especially number 47...

20:33

 
Blogger Em said...

Might well have been ROE, I was wearing a green cap and was certainly doing my fair share of grimacing. I also had my ipod on so was nodding to people but couldn't hear anything.

20:37

 
Blogger Chris said...

I'm getting excited for you Em!

Still trying to work out a way to be back from Gippsland on the Sunday morning to be a cheer squad.

12:28

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Em, be good to yourself and don' be hard on yourself for the coming 2 weeks! Get ready to work hard on 8 Oct and work that last third really hard.

I think if the conditions are right you will just miss out on the sub 100, but that is fine, because you can go faster, but that is experience. I THINK, if you had run more 10k races prior you would be easily under 100 min, but it wasn't to be! Have fun over the next 2 weeks and take the time to ask OM for some advice on Tue night re your taper, you know he will be more than happy to pass on some of his experience!

Stu

17:11

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

I can't wait to see how you go - but no pressure of course ;-)

You've put in a lot of hard work with your training and your nutrition for a long while now and you'll see it pay off on the day

18:58

 
Blogger Ewen said...

With the taper, I'd be inclined to do 12k easy Sunday. Rest Monday, easy run Tuesday, 8-10k including about 3k at faster than half goal pace Wednesday, easy short run Thurs 6-8k, rest Friday, short easy jog Saturday 3-4k with some strides. Half in 99+ minutes Sunday.

12:42

 

Post a Comment

<< Home