a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Thursday, September 28, 2006

10 days to go

Running
12 Km in 1:01:57, and average pace of 5:09. A bit stiff to start off with but eased into it nicely after about 2 Km.

Life
I haven't mentioned it for a while but I still keeping up with the Pilates. I gotta confess I am not loving it, but I persist because it really is paying dividends. I have developed some killer abs, don't get too excited though, they are not visible and frankly the effort I would need to make to drop enough body fat to make them visible is just too great, I like my food waaaaay to much :-) Anyway, It's done wonders for my core strength and I can notice the positive impact it has had on my form.

I finished The Wasp Factory (Iain Banks) yesterday, it had a wicked little twist in the end, I have moved right on to another book by the same author. Unfortunately I am coming close to finishing everything he has written thus far which will be a bit sad. The amazing thing about him is that no two books are alike, it is very difficult to pigeon hole his style.

I am a bit teary eyed now. I just finished watching a show on ABC called Nerves of Steel, it was about the AIS's decision to take 4 girls and train them for the skeleton. This is an insane winter sport where you hurtle down an ice track FACE FORWARD on a tiny little sled at up to 130 KPH. I assume it is called skeleton because it is so basic, very little protection and a tiny sled. I think it is called skeleton because if you come off the sled that is all that will be left of you. Anyway, they took 2 sprinters, a surfer and a gymnast and had 5 months to get them to the world cup events, then had to qualify in the top 8 to get 1 team member to the 2006 winter Olympics. It was a very moving doco, just seeing the agonies of such amazing athletes as they try to do their best when only 1 person can get through. They managed to get Australia a 6th place ranking and the tiny little gymnast was our representative. I could barely watch the runs, it looks absolutely terrifying!!

2 Comments:

Blogger beakus said...

I was going to watch that program and forgot all about it. Pants.

Have you read Raw Spirit? It's where Iain Banks travels around Scotland in search of the 'perfect dram'. It's a cracking book, especially if you like a drop. My personal fave is 10 year old cask strength Laphroaig. Oh I miss my old local *sigh*.

B.

09:30

 
Blogger Rice said...

Good things always happen when you have a strong core.

Cheers.

Rice.

10:08

 

Post a Comment

<< Home