a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Monday, October 02, 2006

Taper begins

It's taper time. After an ill timed 7 days straight today is a rest day and it feels really weird to be home before dark I have to tell you. Heading out this morning without my kit I couldn't shake the feeling that I had forgotten something. It was such a lovely afternoon too, perfect for a run. I am also nervous as hell and fighting the urge to eat everything in sight. Oh well, of to make the most of my early return home and cook a nice healthy dinner, dahl and rice.

Dahl and rice turned out lovely. I bought myself a rice maker on the weekend because I can never get rice quite right, what a great little machine, only cost $30 and it made perfect rice.

Now why do I feel so damn nervous, it is not like anything is riding on this event, except my pride of course. I always have this terrible notion that my legs are going to seize up and refuse to work, weird hey. This is why I could never be a sprinter (apart from a woeful lack of talent in that area, I am sure I have no fast twitch muscles), I couldn't stand the pressure on the start line, if you blow it, it's all over. I feel sick with nerves just watching sprint events.

In fact elite athletes of all kinds amaze me, where on earth do they find the mental resolve to do what they do?? Imagine performing in front of those crowds, god, I'd freeze to the spot.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jumping out of my skin here, can't wait for Sunday. Felt very strange not taking my gear to work.

I'm sure you'll be right for Sunday.

23:09

 
Blogger Vicky said...

The countdown is on...
I know I will be feeling the same way in 3 weeks time.
Like you say, the only expectations you have are your own, but it can still be nerve-racking. Thats because when you've put so much hard work in, you don't want to be disappointed with your preformance on the day.
Just keep the positive thoughts coming and the negative ones out!

MAR.

07:15

 
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

I wish I could just enjoy doing little or next to nothing as well, I must get in touch my inner couch potato.

08:33

 

Post a Comment

<< Home