a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

RunningRiding & Injury update
Another 60 minutes on the bike this afternoon. At least I had the test match for company, amazingly we turned this one around and got up for a win after the Poms choked and were bowled out easily this afternoon, leaving us chasing only 168.

I took the tape off my foot tonight, damn it was nice to be able to shower without a plastic bag taped to my foot! This also means instead of wearing my runners around the house I can switch to my Birkenstocks, much easier to slip into. Now I can start the regime of stretching and massage, out comes the old baseball to roll under my foot, also The Stick is quite good too, just need to prop one end up on some books. I have a floatation belt on order that should arive by Thursday. My Aunt and Uncle live close by and they have a pool, as Satuday is going to be a stinker I'll pop over there and do my "long run" in their pool, hopefully one of my cousins will keep me company. Will have to remember to slip, slop, slap though.

Perspective and Dim Sims
I was reading Kelly Holmes' autobiography on the train this morning and was a bit embarassed as I started to get quite teary. She had to endure quite a bit of injury during her career, not to mention ongoing abdominal troubles that would cause her great pain after training. I was reading about how low she felt after tearing her Achilles Tendon and rupturing her calf muscle. She went through many periods were she couldn't run for months, it really put my own injury into perspective that's for sure. She has been pretty honest about her feelings during these times of injury. It makes you realise that elite athletes are simply ordinary people with an extraordinary talent, but with the same fears, doubts and insecurities as the rest of us, and with a hell of alot more pressure to deal with.

Please, when are they going to ban Dim Sims on the trains. Nothing makes me retch more than sitting next to someone chowing down on a bag of steamed Dim Sims, I feel like saying, "I don't mind you eating those if you don't mind me vomitting all over you". And YES I could move, but by the time you get to Museum, sorry showing my age, Melbourne Central station there is no where to move.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Vicky said...

Have to say Em, that after the post I've just written, thats a book I need to read. Gonna look out for it, sounds good.

MAR.

21:23

 

Post a Comment

<< Home