a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Guess what! Went for a ride

RunningRiding
Into the great outdoors today. While my long run buddies hit the Warby Trail at 7am this morning, sadly I was already up, I think I am just used to rising early on a Sunday. Instead I took the bike to Warby and rode about 40kms instead, started in Mt Evelyn, turned around at about 20km and headed back. Gotta tell you I do not have a body built for biking, my bum gets soooooooo sore, I even have one of those gel seat covers, let me tell you, TOTALLY FECKING USELESS. And I can't stand up to pedal because of my foot (being very cautious), anyway whinge over, it was a lovely day for a ride and the trail is gorgous.

Stopped about 1km from the finish at a cafe called Cogs for a coffee and a muffin. I have run past this cafe heaps of times but never had a chance to stop there. My advice, don't stop if you are in a hurry, the guy making the coffee was so laid back he was almost comatose, I am standing there resisting the urge to vault the counter and make the coffee myself. Then again maybe I need to learn some patience and stop wanting everything yesterday. It was worth the wait though, damn fine coffee and a delicious banana and dark chocolate muffin fresh from the oven, pretty satisfying after a long ride. So I did quite a bit of riding this weekend, about 100kms!

Random Thoughts
Back on track with the positive thoughts, I did give in to a bit of self pity yesterday. I guess I was grumpy because I knew I was going to miss a group long run today and I miss my speed sessions. Having an injury does isolate you, the running world goes on around you and there is nothing you can do about it. I am really looking forward to heading down to the Zatopek Classic at Box Hill tomorrow, if I can't run I can live vicarously through others, I'll be on lap counting duty for a fellow Ausrunner, Sam.

Not really sure where I can get some endorphins from, maybe I need to give this a go.......



Or maybe a spot of extreme ironing will give me what I crave......



Well, it was contentious with the panel but I was very pleased to see Jeff Buckley's Grace just came in at number 2 on "My Favourite Album" on channel 2. I won't get poetic about it, I just love it. But Pink Floyd at number 1, hmmmm, not real sure about that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

Extreme ironing just doesn't cut it.

That's a lot of riding - watch out or you might get used to it and start to like it ;)

16:32

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Totally hear ya on these last 3 posts Em...

Love the extreme pics BTW, makes me feel positively boring for completing my ironing in the lounge just now! Not so sure about the Craigs tho!

Keep your chin up Em, you really are being so good about this time off and I can't believe all of the riding you are doing! Amazing! Go get some bike pants with the padding in the bum - definately worth the money!

How good is it going to feel when you can run again!! Glad to hear the foot has improved and you should be back into it soon.

MAR.

21:29

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

I remember seeing that doco on extreme ironing a little while ago, OMG it was hilarious

Still doesn't get me wanting to do the ironing though...lucky for me that we pay someone else to do it ;-)

06:38

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to have been an odd group of people voting - nostalgic baby-boomers , but not too many Dylan fans; people who listened to Triple J in the 90s (Nirvana etc.) and a couple of young things (Wolfmother).

Anthony Callea came in at #31 but no-one voted for Nick Drake. How did that happen?

08:51

 

Post a Comment

<< Home