a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, November 26, 2006

18:38

Running
Managed to front up for the 4km Spring into Shape run today. I'll get the facts out of the way first, 18:39, average pace 4:40, not happy, should've done better, I expected 18 minutes, maybe a bit under. So I guess I have officially had my first crap race. That's it, no more moaning, I like every run to be a positive experience, in this case it was my first 4km race so I guess that makes it a PB.

So what went wrong? I wasn't focused, my mind was all over the shop and there was too much negative chatter, I just couldn't get my rhythm, didn't help that I couldn't find the 2km marker. Still, I was running without the foot pod so was relying on "feel" for the pace so it was a learning experience. I guess I felt a bit lost without the pacing feedback, but I am not racing with it anymore so this Summer is about learning to live without it. Then about 700 metres from the finish my damn shoe lace came undone, can you believe it?! I always tuck the ends in, but today I forgot, see my mind was not on the game. As I ran my shoe got looser and looser, at one point I seriously considered kicking it off and going back for it, there was no way I was stopping to tie the damn thing. As a result I ended up crossing the finish line looking like a total unco idiot. Though no one said they noticed, which I guess means I normally look like an unco idiot!

Alright, enough of that, looking forward I have a 5km in 2 weeks in Williamstown, looking to go about 22:30 there so time to refocus. I am planning on heading out for an easy 5km or so this afternoon as well, hopefully blow away the cobwebs and start back on a more positive note.

Update
Well, you know I love my stats. The results are up and in the light of things I don't have much to moan about, Category position 8th, Gender position 28th and Overall 106th (out of 720, but there were walkers in there as well). So not bad results for what I decided was a shit race.

Coincidence!
Caught up with one of the guys from my Tuesday night group. There are quite a few people there I haven't spoken to much yet, I said to someone the other night that they should all have their names on the back of their shirts because that is the only bit I see :-) Anyway, had a good chat, turns out he not only lives in my suburb but in the next street over AND he is a contractor who has also been working in the same building I work in, weird hey!

My thumb is much better these days, problem is I now have almost 2 weeks of proper housework to catch up on, just getting this done while I wait for the floors to dry after being mopped, YAWN, I HATE house work, why can't the magic cleaning fairy get it done while I am asleep???

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you Em - 18.39 is nothing to sneeze at!! (Well, I'M impressed!)

14:05

 
Blogger Ewen said...

Maybe your style is so good you don't look too bad with a loose shoe.

It's a 4k PB that won't last long!

17:24

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never knock a PB, it doesn't matter how they come. At least you have a time to beat.

I always double tie my shoelaces and they seem to stay tied.

23:42

 
Blogger Ruune said...

Well I think it is a pretty good achievement to come 8th in your category with an untied shoe. Oh, and thanks for the cheering at the half way mark.

11:01

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Em, I love the way we're dead opposites when posting about events - you always state the outcome up front, then tell the story - I HAVE to write everything in the order it happened so can't possibly tell my time till the end!! Ha, I'm so obsessive! (And I'm sure it frustrates people, but thats not why I do it!)

As for the outcome of this one, your placings are really good and 4.40 pace is definately nothing to be sneezed at. BUT yes, I agree you can and will do even better. Main thing is you've learnt a lot from this race - you've already identified the problem areas and what let you down and thought thru solutions. Thats important. I'm sure you won't make the shoelace mistake again and next time will be more focused. You'd had a strange week with your foot concerns and its easy to get thrown off mentally.

Chalk it all up to experience and just work towards that 5km now.

Cheers, MAR.

17:39

 

Post a Comment

<< Home