a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Enough of the bike already

No post yesterday, I had a BBQ last night and after another bout on the bike ran out of time. Then 2 cans of Scotch and Coke and I was too tired to be bothered posting. Yep, sad but true, I am a cheap cheap date people!

Running
Still nothing yesterday. I was going to run yesterday morning, felt OK, yesterday morning, not 100% but pretty good. However a few steps in the pain was still there, very far from unbearable but I still decided to be cautious. I can tell you it was a pretty dejected walk back to the office and I gave in to the negativity for a couple of hours yesterday morning.

By the time I got home I decided to keep trying to make the best of the situation and jumped on the bike (again!), just for 45 minutes of intervals. I worked it pretty hard to make it count and clocked up 21km. Pretty pleased with myself actually, I could have easily come home and sulked on the couch this week. Instead I have ridden for 2 hours 45 minutes and covered almost 74kms in 3 days, just a pity I can't add it to my weekly running mileage ;-)

So, the foot, what's up? It has been stretched, massaged, taped and iced to within and inch of it's life. In fact I have never stretched so much in my life. Also I have not walked barefoot since Wednesday, the shoes go on as soon as I get up, and I wore jeans all week to work so I could wear my runners as they are the most supportive shoes I own. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say I am at about 8 right now, so it's looking good for tomorrow, but I won't really know until I get up. I am sure some people have probably suspected Plantar Fasciitis, God knows I have, but I don't think it is that extreme, it is more like an annoying niggle. Anyway, Y A W N, enough analysis, the old shoes have been shelved and I have learned my lesson. I think I need some new flats as well but I am hanging out for the new Zoom Elites, OK not strictly a flat but they are perfect for me because they have just that little bit extra support.

Not the most fascinating post today, I have been pre-occupied with this damn foot, it has made me realise how much I enjoy my running and as much as I have tried to remain positive everynow and then I'd think, Oh No, what if I am off for weeks or months. Another lesson learned STAY OF GOOGLE, nothing fans the flames of paranoia more than a Google search, you'd think I'd have learned me lesson after my "stress fracture" freak out. You know, before I ran I was never over reacted like this, really, someone slap me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

Hope it's not PF. There was a good broadcast about stretching for PF on the ABC.

Divide bike miles by 3 for an approximate value of running miles, so 74k is worth about 15k of running. Don't put it in the diary though ;)

22:32

 
Blogger Vicky said...

I could never slap you Em !
Except maybe if we were sprinting for a finish line together and you ankle tapped me.... then I might...! :-)))))

17:29

 

Post a Comment

<< Home