a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Learning to deal with the frustration

Training Plan - 11 Km with warm up/cool down at 6:00 and 7km at 4:50 Actual - 8Km at 5:45 Weekly Total - 29.7 Km Days to GC Half - 38 Aghhhhhh, not having a good week. Sorry guys, this is a chick thing and I am committed to documenting the ups and downs. I have always suffered terrible cramps during my T.O.M, I mean doubled over crying in pain cramps, where the only option is a couple of mersondyl, bed and a few hours of drugged out sleep. Now running has actually helped, what used to be a monthly curse has reduced to once every 4 months or so. Now today, actually not too bad, not taking a day off work bad, but enough to cause significant discomfort and of course I soldier on "undrugged" because nurofen makes me very sleepy so I don't take it at work. So this morning, despite every fibre of my being screaming NO!!!!! I headed out for a run anyway. It was never going to be 11Km or fast, so I just did what I could and plodded at a pretty slow pace (and even walked up Anderson St, gasp!) and the only time I felt OK today was when I was running. Also got a lovely surprise when Mark (eat 'em) ran up behind me about 500 metres before my jump off point on the tan. He had spotted me (probably the fluro green cap) in the distance and sped up to catch me, not too hard at the pathetic pace I was managing. It is amazing how much a friendly face can perk you up :-) So time constraints (won't go into detail, too tedious) and feeling like shit have kinda derailed the training this week and forced me into the taper I wasn't planning on doing, I hope it all comes good for Sunday though. Right now I am feeling like a sluggish fat old walrus, Ughhh. On a brighter note I am generally only out of it for one day so hopefully I will get a quality 13Km in tomorrow. Also the ginger cake I made for morning tea today went down a treat and all up we raised over $180, the company I work for always matches all money we raise at these things, so $360 to the Cancer Council. It was very hard to resist all the tasty treats on offer and I did cave into a couple of chockie bics and some yummo homemade rumballs, oh well, I am only human.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At a 1089 km for the year I think you'll be right for Sunday. I've just noticed your last three months, you've certainly been racking up the k's.

Sorry, I'm not even going to comment on "women's things".

19:01

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Women things, all right, I'm out....


See you on Sunday for a race that you are very ready for!

Stu

22:15

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hang in there Em! - you'll be right
again tomorrow. Sunday will be just
fine you'll see!

SB:)

22:52

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your right Em ... it was the hat ... :-)

Hope you are better today, hope to see you Sunday (I am still not a definite starter .... :-( )

Take care
Eat Em

08:46

 
Blogger beakus said...

Hot water bottle and nice hot drinks... oh, and add in a bit of UKTV detectives of choice... that's what gets me through. You'll be great on Sunday. And even though you may feel like "...a sluggish fat old walrus..." LOL, with the kind of speedy running you do that is clearly not the case.

Take care,
B.

10:11

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

OMG - if you are a sluggish fat old walrus - what the hell am I????

lol I'll second Potamus motion and suggest hot choccie, DVD, doona and couch ;)

12:26

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can totally relate to your predicament Em, and the only way thru for me is drugs too! (Have you tried Naprogesics? Or 75mg Voltarin twice a day for a good 4-5 days prior is also a good preventative.) Gosh, I do sound like a druggie don't I?! But you just have to do whatever it takes... Anyway, more than anything I wanted to wish you luck for Sunday - not that luck has anything much to do with it - you will kick butt based on hard work and determination. Go girl!!

14:34

 

Post a Comment

<< Home