a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Scared of the Dark??

Training Plan - 13Km at 6:00 Actual - 13.1 Km at 5:30 Days to GC Half - 32 Gotta be quick. Went out for my run last night at about 5:15, it was already dark. Went on Em's Mystery Tour of Sydney :-) Down to the Bridge, around Circular Quay and the Opera House and then skirted the Botanical Gardens and Mrs Maquaries Chair. That bit I have to say was totally terrifying, it was pitch black and they don't turn the lights on, needless to say I did a bit of Fartlek on that section (well, more like running like a scared little girl afraid of monsters coming out of the dark), I would have been fine if I had a guy with me but I won't be going back that way tonite! Also a bit jarring on the legs because the path was uneven and I couldn't see where I was putting my feet, it was that dark. Ended up in Oxford St at one point, how did I know?? The Liquor Shop had somehow been renamed the Lick-Her Shop, I kid you not! Anyway, to make up for loss of distance though the park tonight I will head over Sydney Harbor Bridge and back, should make for some great views, then up Maquarie St and perhaps up Oxford St again, see if I can get as far as Centenial Park. I was over the moon this morning to log on to the forum and see that the Sri Chinmoy results had come up and that I had finished 10th for my age category, especially happy as it is a pretty generous age range (18-39, I am 32). And yes, there were more than 10 people in the category!! A few weeks ago I set myself a goal of a to 10 category finish, can't believe I made it already, although it was a small field.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Small field or not, thats brilliant! And gives you another yardstick to work from... Tell yourself the other 9 were all 18-25 and you'll feel even better!! Take care tonight! MAR.

11:17

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Well done on an awesome race result Em - you totally deserve it....And the field wasn't THAT small - you were 10th out of 109! I reckon you should give yourself a pretty darn big pat on the back for that acheivement :)

Good to see you out running in Sydney - I totally get what you mean about running in the dark, in a strange place, on your own....I'll stop now ;)

16:32

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

First Em, congrats on 10th in your 10km race.

I loved your post, re the night run and the bottle shop on Oxford St. Too bad you can't get a day time run in, I must admit one of my fav runs during my visit to Sydnay was via Lady Macquarie Chair, Botanical Gardens & the Harbour Bridge.

have fun

Stu

21:48

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

14:48

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

14:03

 

Post a Comment

<< Home