a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Interval Training

Training Plan - 16Km with warm up/cool down and 5 x 1600 mt at 4:50 with 800 mt recovery Actual - 13.5 km with warm up/cool down and 5 x 1000 mt at 4:15 to 4:30 with 1000 mt recovery at about 5:30 Weekly Total - 40Km I decided to modify my plan today, to reduce the rep length and up the speed, this based on no rhyme or reason, I just wanted to try and run faster. Well, phew, what a session, obviously the first 3 reps were much faster, about 4:15, the 4th about 4:20 and the 5th about 4:30, by the last 200 mts of the final rep I think my arms were doing most of the work. This session took all the mental toughness I could summon, it is a hard one to get through on your own, but I just kept talking to myself in my head and I got there. I tried not to dwell too long on the fact that my heart bursting, leg pumping lactate over load interval pace is a walk in the park to the VIS athletes who were also doing to reps at the same time. I have leant very quickly that it is best not to be too concerned with those around you, just to concentrate on my own ability. I did these reps on the straight section of The Tan, along Linlithgow Ave. As mentioned it is a tough session, both mentally and physically but so satisfying when it is finished. Sitting in the car driving home afterwards I realised that I felt fantastic and was so happy that I did not pull out of the last rep and give up, despite really wanting to at the time. Rogo and I discovered on Saturday that we both have the same mantra, "you are only cheating yourself", not particularly original but it works for me when I really want to give up.

I have my massage booked in for next week, it will be my last one before the half, I should probably book one for when I get back from the GC as well.

Getting close now, 17 days to go, one more week of work. I head up to the GC on Monday the 26th so I'll be able do my taper up there and get used to the conditions. I have a lovely bottle of Domain Chandon bubbly that I have been saving for after the race, the thought of it sitting on ice will probably get me through the last 4 Kms :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Vicky said...

Great stuff Em, good on you for toughing it out. I like your mantra and your style.

MAR.

19:53

 

Post a Comment

<< Home