a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Good Race Pace Run

Training Plan - 13 Km at 6:00 Actual - 13.2 Km at 5:12 Weekly Total - 26.5 Km I couldn't resist, I had to test out my race pace. So after a warm up Km at about 5:40 I picked up to between 5:05 and 5:15 for the remaining 12. I have to say it felt quite comfortable, now the question that remains to be answered on race day, can I keep it up for the remaining 9 Kms?? I stayed off The Tan today, I felt like a change. I headed up along the Yarra, over Morell Bridge then back down along the Yarra up to a bridge that I can't remember then name of that crosses over the freeway in Burnley. On the way back past Fed Square I passed the registration table for the Run to the G training sessions, I didn't recognise anyone as I whizzed past, otherwise I would have stopped to say Hi. Quite a satisfying run today and happy to have felt so comfortable with the pace. I don't think I have mentioned this before but I have to say I have the coolest boss who pretty much let's me work my hours when I want to fit in with running. At this time of year I prefer to run in the evenings so I start work at 07:00 so I can nick off at about 16:00, yes I know this is a 9 hour day but I also take longer lunch breaks a couple of times a week to fit in Pilates as well. Not everyone would be fortunate to have such flexibility in their day. Speaking of Pilates I have been doing it for about 7 weeks now and the benefits are really being felt now, the group class instructor mentioned today that I was looking much stronger. It was a very strong class today, anyone who has done Pilates will be familiar with a particularly brutal exercise called 100s, well, we had to do 2 sets today, WITH a fitball between out knees, Aghhhhhhhh. Funny though, I always leave the classes feeling just that little bit taller. I will book my last massage before my race for sometime next week as well. I am generally feeling very good but my masseuse has an uncanny ability to uncover hidden knots!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the bridge you are referring to is Mac. Robertson Bridge. There is a picture of it here http://www.superjacent.net/blog/index.php?m=20060524

20:15

 
Blogger Em said...

Yep, Steve, that's the one. In fact I pretty much lifted my route today from one of your runs last week ;-)

Thanks for the inspiration

21:11

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Em, depending when you flew past, myself and Rupert where at the Attrium (Fed Sq) tonight.

I think your problem will not be can you run the extra 9k at 5:13 pace, I think your problem may be, can you run that slow. Whilst not encouraging you to change the plan, I reckon you would achieve easily at 5:08 pace, yes for 21.1km....


Stu

23:04

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Perhaps it's because of the tendency to say "Ooh, ouch!" when she goes over them! I am trying to learn to keep these sudden involuntary outbursts to myself ;-)

Not long to go now Em, I'm getting excited for you!!!

14:23

 

Post a Comment

<< Home