a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What The!!!

Running
16Km in 1:19:23, an average pace of 4:57. Yes, you are reading that correctly! I eased in the first 3 Km then found myself running quite comfortably in spite of last nights session, so I decided to do as I did 3 weeks before the last half marathon and have a go at race pace over a longer run. From the 4th Km onwards 11kms worth were at sub 5:00 pace
(4) 4:59
(5) 5:10
(6) 4:58
(7) 4:55
(8) 4:48
(9) 4:50
(10) 4:58
(11) 4:52
(12) 4:44
(13) 5:04
(14) 4:44
(15) 4:43
(16) 4:44

I am still mulling over my plan of attack but I am hoping to hit between 4:50 and 5:00 minute Kms on the day.

7, or is it 8 weeks worth of Tuesday night sessions has paid dividends, particularly with the improvement in my form. I think my ability to get out there and run that little bit faster is down to the fact that my stride/form is starting to get better. You certainly do move along quicker with less perceived effort when your form is good (no shit! I hear some of you say, but it is not as simple as just saying, "oh I am going to run this way now", it takes time and the right advice to make the change). Don't get me wrong, today was not what I would call easy but it was not particularly difficult either.

Anyway, after a quick start to the week I will ease off the pace for the next few runs, also I have ASICS study testing again on Friday afternoon so will have to squeeze in a morning run.

Oh yeah, something odd happened around the 10Km mark, my right leg fell off, don't worry I stuck it back on and kept going, I am sure I'll be right as rain tomorrow :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Rice said...

thats a great run!

Cheers.

Rice.

21:41

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're well and truly ready for the half-marathon in 2 and a bit weeks.

23:32

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Geez Em, I haven't been able to catch up on blogs for a little while and when I do get back I find you motoring along! I think you are going to have an awesome day come race day :-)

07:44

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Em, this post really does not surprise me! I think you are more than capable of this and then some on race day, quite a bit more in fact... and for the entire distance. Once you get into that groove, its not so hard to just keep going. Its a bit like how the first 5kms of a longer run can feel difficult, but once you get beyond that it feels easier. If you never went beyond that, you'd never know that it does get better. I think its the same with pace (within reason) if that makes any sense at all....?

13:40

 
Blogger Jaykay said...

I can see you're going to be at the front of the queue for massages after the 1/2, rather than way down the back like us mere mortals!!

Great effort!

19:37

 
Blogger Ewen said...

You're right Em. Good form lets you run faster for the same energy output. Well done.

20:34

 

Post a Comment

<< Home