a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Friday, September 01, 2006

Enforced Rest %#*&

Running
No running today

Not happy. During my tempo session yesterday I noticed a twinge in my quad, just above the knee towards the inside. It does not hurt to walk or use stairs but at lunch time when I ran to catch a green light it certainly twinged. I am reluctently erring on the side of caution and will take two days (Saturday is rest day anyway) to R.I.C.E and then try my long run on Sunday. Bloody frustrating but one day now beats several weeks if a niggle becomes a tear. I also booked a massage quick smart for next week. I am awful aren't I? One minor niggle and I am having a big fat sook. Well, it is a wake up call I suppose, I was starting to feel a bit bullet proof.

Monthly Summary
Total - 338 Km
Year to Date - 1985 Km
Injuries - None. Towards the end of the month I was starting to battle mentally with higher mileage and some new aspects to my training. But that is all part of the challenge of the sport and I have taken it in my stride and I feel sronger for it
Excuses - None
Races - None. Training is the focus this month
Goals - To PB to the Melbourne Half Marathon (104 minutes is the goal) and to pay more attention to my nutrition

Some Stats
My training run pace has taken a noticeable dive since I started taking records in May
Easy Run Pace
May - 5:30
June - 5:30
July - 5:27
August - 5:17

Long Run Pace
May - 5:45
June - 5:58
July - 5:47
August - 5:29

Ramblings
I downloaded some articles on Stem Cell research today. I miss the news most nights and haven't had time to read the paper and I know there have been some developments this week. I spent 3 years studying philosophy at Uni as part of my BA degree, my main focus was Ethics and Existentialism. I was fortunate to have Peter Singer as a lecturer for Bioethics in 2nd year, a hell of an inspirational guy. Anyway, I think it is time for me to pull out of my funk and start exercising my brain again as well and making more time for myself to read. So my many and varied opinions and ideas may get an airing here in future. Be warned however, do not have a very ordered mind and I tend to "think aloud" and constantly evole my ideas so don't jump down my throat if I keep changing my mind, it's what I do.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some decent running and an impressive total for August. You'll be breaking the YTD 2000 mark next run, if not, the run after.

You forgot one stat. How many times bumping into Steve along the Yarra. lol

20:39

 
Blogger Spark Driver said...

That is a very good monthly total. A figure I aspire too.

Seems I have some company on the injury couch for a few more days.

21:09

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Good girl, listening to your body! It takes a brave runner to enter a big fat zero into training log. Don't worry I know you will be back out there in no time :)!

13:43

 
Blogger Ewen said...

Nah, you're not a sook Em. Look after niggles. Your training is going well.

"Thinking aloud" blogs sometimes make the best reading.

15:31

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

I hope the leg is coming good!


Thanks for the comment on my blog re my prep for the HM.

18:45

 

Post a Comment

<< Home