a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Ice Ice Baby

The alternative name for this post was simply going to be the one word I yelled out upon jumping into the icebath, I'll leave that one up to your imagination

Running
Long run today and finished the week on 81Km. 26Km in 2:27:46, an average pace of 5:40. This included some nice slow early Kms and a handful of speedy sub 5 minute Kms towards the end. I wore the new Skin Capri's toay and they were damn comfy, I may consider wearing them on raceday. I was feeling a bit spent at about the 22Km mark and stopped the watch to walk about 500 mtres. It was a gradual uphill and the achilles in my right leg was gicing me some gyp, I'll get the ice onto it tonight when I have time to put my feet up, also some nurofen. Also I think I hit the famous "wall" for the first time at about 22Km. Despite me telling my running companion that I can usually manage up to 26Km without a gel I think today I really needed some nutrition along the way. I think this will be my last long run over 25 Km between now at October, I'll probably knock the distance back to 20 to 22km.

I also think I am in need of a lighter week of around 65Km, so that will fit in nicely next week as I have testing for the ASICS study on Monday afternoon which will give me 2 rest days next week.

As the title suggests I did brave the icebath today, the legs really needed it. Well, to be honest I didn't quite cope with the full lower body imersion, for some strange reason putting my feet in was incredibly painful. Not just "wow this is really cold", rather "Dear God, this really hurts I can't keep my feet in here". I tried chucking on a pair of explorer socks (very amusing sight, undies, running top, socks, bath) but to no avail. I ended up soaking a towel in the water and wrapping it around my legs for 5 minutes, resoak, repeat 3 times. This worked well and I followed up with warm shower and Skins. All up I'll do this again, the legs feel considerably fresher than they usually do after a long week.

Life
Foxtel have been replaying all the Star Wars movies, never a massive fan but I will say that Empire Strikes Back was my favorite installment, Han Solo be still my beating heart :-) The first 3 (recent) installments really were a pile of poo that were no more the vehicles for merchandising. Seriously, did everyone else find Anakin to be the shittest character in movie history? I felt zero sympathy. He was a whiny sooky wussy little pain in the butt, go on you spineless little wimp join the freakin dark side, I really don't give a stuff, sheesh! And jar jar binks, What they hell were they thinking, was any movie character ever more pointess? All right, Sunday seems to be turning into Em's rant about movies that shit her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Boston said...

I am very impressed you have taken a cold bath... that's awesome.

Cheers!

17:14

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

I have caught ost of the Star Wars movies this week but purposefully avoided the newer ones for the exact same reasons you posted here.

God Anakin annoyed the shit out of me grrrrrrrr

18:30

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You know I have never seen one Star Wars film :-0! I have set the IQ to record all six so I can Watch them with my 8 year old.
That ice bath sounds like bloody torture, lol!

20:35

 
Blogger MorseyRuns said...

I hear you loud and clear about Han Solo. I always wanted to have hair like Princess Leia's.

18:50

 
Blogger Spark Driver said...

I always wanted to have hair like Han Solo...is that too wierd??

I disagree about Anakin I'm afraid. I felt very sorry for him when he was forced into the Dark side.

20:41

 

Post a Comment

<< Home