a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Deep Water Running

RunningPool Running
Finally got myself to the pool this morning, I got there nice and early figuring it would get pretty busy on a day like today. Got the water running belt on, cinched in nice and tight, jumped in the pool, completely forget that your body kinda changes shape under water and the belt promptly popped up right under my armpits. Flailed around, got out of the pool and tightened the belt, I had it as tight as it would go, would probably be no good for a tiny wee person. Back in the pool and off I went, it would be fair to say that drowning dogs swim with more grace than me. Anyway, took a few minutes but I finally found my rhythm and I managed to stick to it for 30 minutes. Once I got the hang of it I pretty much did intervals. Then I took the belt off and spent about 5 minutes "swimming", unfortunately breast stroke is about all I can manage. God knows how I managed to come first in a 50 metres freestyle in the school swimming carnival one year. I probably could have managed a few laps freestyle but I had my contacts in so was keeping the head above water.

The life guard seemed to be hanging around alot too, perhaps he thought I was likely to need rescuing at any moment, the way I was looking, I am sure the look of determination on my face was pretty funny. Still, not a totally horrific experience and I'll head back there. I think I'll get some goggles though and cool down with a couple of laps in the slow lane next time. And you know what, my legs are sore, so even though it didn't feel like I was doing much at the time I obviously was.

Fun with the kids
My best mate has recently bought a block of land so best mate, her 2 kids (3 1/2 and 2) another friend and I had a bit of a road trip today. First stop the block of land, in a lovely estate at the foot of the Dandenongs with the National Park as a backdrop, then off to Roweville to look at the house she is chosen half built in another estate, then over the Cranbourne to look at the display home, Phew. Kid duty was being shared, our other friend had the back seat for the out journey and I got it on the way home. I figured it would be after lunch and the kids would be asleep. Hmmmm, well, I was partly right, they did go to sleep but not before they both finished cleaning their faces with wet ones and then shoved them in my face and said "look Aunty Em, SNOT!!!". Aunty Em's reaction, Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh, get those things away from me now, in the meantime their mum is nearly wetting herself laughing!

Here are the wee little snot faces, sorry, darlings, playing at the new block, it was so bright I didn't realise I hadn't turned the camera lens on my phone around properly, that is why there is a shadow at the top.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Running in the pool would definitely have been better than running outside yesterday.

08:37

 
Blogger Ewen said...

I'm sure the deep water training will help when you return to running. Not that you'd want to rush - it's so hot and smoky outside :(

18:08

 
Blogger Vicky said...

Good effort in the pool Em. I was always going to try this when I has my SF but never had a belt, so just ended up swimming instead!

Have to say, the more I read/hear about other peoples kids lately - the more I think mine is an angel! Shes not of course, but has never done that sort of thing - and I would be just as horrified if she did!! Can certainly see why some people get put off ever having kids - I saw some real pieces of work at the mall today... and that was just the parents!

MAR.

20:01

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

I love those pics - the way they have come out look like they are really old, I thought maybe they were some pics of you and your brother from when you were ickle and that you'd scanned them in or something. It's actually a really groovy effect you've stumbled across :-)

08:09

 

Post a Comment

<< Home