a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

ANZAC Day and 10.1 Km run

Big day today. Training Plan - 10Km at 6:00 pace Actual - 10.1 Km at 5:25 pace, included some hills, up Middleborough Road and Eley Road. It was an extended version of the 7Km course I used to run when I first started running outside. Was very happy to note that I was very strong up the 2 hills that I used to have to stop on a few times. Then it was on to my Godson's 3rd birthday. So ANZAC day means a few things to me, it is a day to reflect and remember on the lives of so many young men's lives lost and on the sacrifices still being made today and to sound a bit cliched, quite frankly the sheer madness of it all. On the other hand it was this day 3 years ago that my gorgeous little godson, Aden (seen in the picture with his little sister Zhara) was born 6 weeks premature. I'll never forget the day I saw the poor little mite the day he was born, so tiny and helpless in his humidicrib, he stayed in hospital for 5 weeks before he was allowed to come home. His mum and I have been best friends since we started high school together 19 years ago!!! The party was at one of those indoor play centres so I was run ragged as "Aunty Em" chased them around the equipment and went on trips down the slide, carrying a 2 year old girl up and down a set of stairs to a slide over and over is one heck of a workout, as is bouncing around a jumping castle. Then it was off to the Dandenongs for a bushwalk, just a 2 hour one. All the way down the valley then up and out again. Gotta admit I was holding myself back, part of me wished I was wearing my sneakers so I could just take off and have a run, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME. But then I got into a spot of trouble at the end for racing ahead of the group, so if I had have run ahead I would have been well in the doghouse :-(. Also getting a bit sick of the endless daily digs at my weight, mainly from family and other half. Mum saw be today and went on a bit about "make sure you eat enough", "what do you weigh?", "you are too thin", to the charming "you look Anorexic" from the other half, no I don't actually, I look healthy, an Anorexic would not have the energy to run like I do. The fact of the matter is I would actually like to lose another 4 Kgs, I am probably just a touch on the heavy side for distance running, I would prefer to be dragging a little less around in races. But I won't be mentioning that around the house. But here it is, 172cm, 59.5 Kgs and 22% BF does not = Anorexic thankyou very bloody much.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sekhmet said...

Em, don't sweat it - you look just fine and if you feel that you need to lose a couple of kilo's for your running I understand...I can only dream about how fast I could run if I shifted a few! People don't often understand (non running people) that the less BF you carry around, the faster you can run as what you do carry is muscle and therefore useful!

Keep up the great work - you keep me inspired!

B x

18:14

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em,

When I used to be fabulously fit and running at my best, I'd get lots of comments about my weight and how gaunt I looked.

Never worried me though as I knew that I was incredibly strong and had a cardio system that others would kill for.

Running will usually reproportion your body, with fat turning to muscle and a slight reorganising of body shape. It's all very normal and will produce a great athletic figure.

So next time you get a comment like that, say 'thanks'.

08:06

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean. My running
friends tell me i'm looking very fit but
my non running friends tell me i'm looking too skinny! I wouldn't have
described myself as skinny - funny eh!


stormbikes

17:09

 

Post a Comment

<< Home