a

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses.........behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." Muhammad Ali

Sunday, May 07, 2006

A real runner now - or completely mad!

Training Plan - 10 Km at 6:00 Actual - 11 Km at 5:40 Weekly Stats Time - 07:10:48 Distance - 77.5 Km Weight - 58.7 Kg Days to GC Half - 56 Lots of the Ausrunners are running the Great Train Race today, this is 13 odd Kms against Puffing Billy, an old steam train. There are 2 trains, one for the men to race and one for the women to race. I chose not too because I didn't want to sacrifice my weekly mileage owing to training for the half. Not a very nice day today so I hope the rain held off for the duration of the race and that everyone had a great day. I had to do 10Km today so I went out in sympathy at 930 this morning :-) The first 5Km were run in cold windy driving rain, I simply can not believe that I got out there to do it, in fact I did not even think twice about it, must be a real runner now. Fortunately the skies cleared briefly for me and I was able to finish up with 11 Km without the rain. The hardest part was running past a house with the most delicious coffee smell coming out from it. Also I got a bit of a cramp at about the 5Km mark so I had to stop for a few moments to allow it to pass. Next week the training plan has me scheduled for a lighter week, without a long run, so I will be doing the 8Km event in the Mothers Day Classic on the Sunday. I won't do any taper though, I will treat the 8Km as a tempo workout. Quick check of the body after yet another high mileage week and everything seems to be holding up. Just some stiffness in the calves but I will go back for another massage next week. I have actually be doing a touch more than the training plan called for the last 2 weeks. Last week was supposed to be 71 Km (I did 76Km) and this week was supposed to be 73 Km (I did 77.5Km), this was because my weekly long runs were 24Km instead of the scheduled 20 and 21 Km. Still managing to lose weight, albeit slowly. It is tricky to balance the nutrition, enough to keep you well fuelled and running strongly, but not too much otherwise weight will either come on or stay the same. I am aiming for 55Kg, so 3.7Kg to go. I will probably book my Gold Coast flights this week, and send in my race entry.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sekhmet said...

Geez Em! 55kg there will be nothing left of you ;)

19:22

 
Blogger Em said...

Don't fret, I call it my "fighting weight", just so I have less to drag over the 21 Kms.

The post race celebrations will surely see me gain some back :-)

19:47

 
Blogger Sekhmet said...

Having said that - I understand exactly where you are coming from - less weight to lug around = faster times, I just wish I had the discipline to lose the extra kegs....oh well, maybe when I give up the booze

20:35

 
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Em, yep crazy......

Keep up the stretching, don't just allow the massage to sort out those calves....

16:14

 

Post a Comment

<< Home